JumpStart is a residential summer program that is part of the TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) . Participants have the opportunity to begin their freshman year during the 6 week second term of summer semester. Students will live in the residential facilities, take classes for elective credit and receive guidance on University of Utah policies and procedures while also developing a strong supportive network of peers, staff and instructors. JumpStart students will participate in this summer program alongside our Upward Bound Bridge students who have also graduated from high school but have had some previous experience with the campus environment. Students may graduate from any high school in the state of Utah. Once the summer program finishes, students continue to work with a Student Support Services advisor on class selection, financial aid process and other areas of need throughout their time at the University of Utah.
Eligibility for JumpStart is limited to Utah students who:
- Will graduate from high school in the year that they will enter college
- Are admitted and will attend the University of Utah during academic year
- Come from a low income family and/or a family where neither parent has a college degree and/or a student registered with the University of Utah Center for Disability Services (CDS)
- Have an ACT Math score below 23 or who are placed in Math 980 or Math 1010
- and are U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents