Through a supportive environment, TRIO programs empower underrepresented students to access postsecondary education & to achieve academic success leading to a postsecondary degree. TRIO federal programs include eight programs targeted to serve and assist low-income individuals, first-generation college students, and individuals with disabilities to progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to post-baccalaureate programs.
The University of Utah houses two programs:
To create a powerful learning community at the University of Utah, centered on core values and a shared commitment to academic excellence. Student Support Services and Upward Bound will increase the number of underserved students (low income, first-generation, and students with disabilities) in college. UB and SSS graduates will be responsible, engaged citizens who are prepared to be leaders of the future.
TRIO is dedicated to empowering a diverse student body with an outstanding college education.
- To value, respect, and appreciate each student and staff
- To place students’ needs first (remain student-centered)
- To value resiliency in students
- To promote social justice in education
- To promote education by providing the tools that students need to become empowered for themselves and to contribute to their communities and to society as a whole
In TRIO, we will Serve Our Underrepresented Participants, by following and remaining in compliance with the regulations that govern our grant. This will be enacted in order to ensure the longevity of our program and ensure service provision for qualified students.